Kanye West next month. Muse Last month. What's in store for us in May? Can I have Radiohead please...?
2007 sure seems to be a good year for music fans. The top rapper in the world and the biggest rock band in the world (fuck you if you don't agree with me haha) coming to our shores a month apart. One does get the feeling that more is coming. I think so too. We Malaysians have for so long been ignored by these superstars in their tours. They seem to come to Singapore or Thailand and somehow Malaysia just failed to show up in their map. A good example is when Coldplay performed in Singapore recently. Coldplay man! Aiyoo Chris Martin sebelah je bang Malaysia ni. Naik motor pun bole sampai. I guess Coldplay just decided to give us Malaysians a cold shoulder...
Who can blame them? With our piracy being one of the highest in the world. (not bad for such a small and developing country eh?). These superstars probably thought they have little or no fanbase in our country. I don't think they would risk organising a huge concert in place they probably haven't even heard of inthe first place, to a small crowd of little girls. And, we Malaysians do have a reputation for being a boring lot. You see a lot of Malaysians at concerts, where during the performance they would just sit there motionless, humming to the tunes to themselves. Sometimes you can make out a faint smile on their faces. Yet, after the show is over when you ask them if they had any fun (scared that they're gonna scold you for taking them to the performance in the first place..) they would probably say that was the best show they have ever seen....i just don't understand it. You paid good money to the show, even if you got free tickets, try and have fun. Don't be so reserved. Leave your inhibitions at the door dude.
That is one common stereotype of Malaysians. But I can say things are changing. With the younger generations are bolder in expressing their passion for something. What I witness at the Muse concert changed my perceptions. The crowd that night was truly amazing. Loud and sporting, they clapped, sing, jumped, and they knew the words to evry song. Even the new songs. They moshed during the headbanging tunes, they pulled out the lighters for the slow numbers, they can feel the band's energy and it resonates in them. What more could an artiste want? With crowds like that even a shy person, or worse a non-fan could not help it but to get caught in the moment. I seriously hope Muse would consider coming here to perform again. The next I hope would be a full scale rock assault at Stadium Bukit Jalil, much like their upcoming gig at the new Wembley Stadium. A massive stadium concert capable of crowds of 80000. Are we ready for that? Hell Yeah! It's been long overdue. Even if Muse is not coming again, maybe can tell someone that 'hey you know Chris (Martin) we just performed at Kuala Lumpur the other day, and the crowd was fuckin great man. It was better than our gig at Singapore the previous. Heard you guys performed in S'pore a few months back, and you missed out on KL. Your lost man...' hehehe
I hope the scene is changing. We don't have a lot of supertsars coming here. When I say superstar I mean SUPERSTAR. Not Simple Plan. If you are into dance music however, the scene is different. For the past few years, many heroes of the dance scene, the legendary superstar DJs have graced our shores. Not just in clubs, the gigs have been done in many strange and exciting places. Genting highlands, Sepang F1 Circuit, Bukit Tinggi, Cyberjaya, Port Dickson, A'Famosa, Desa Waterpark. Subang Airport.KL Tower. These are outdoor DJ gigs, or raves as some would like to call it. In malaysia, the term 'rave' has been misused more often than not. Much like people who heard a trance song anf go 'ah! lagu tekno'. (fucking ignorants you annoy me). Now every party is a rave. But I would save these rants for another post another time... In the dance scene, we have had every top DJ from every dance genre performed here. From the legendary old timers, the reigning champion, and the exciting upcoming new names. Tiesto? Paul Van Dyk? Danny Tenaglia? Carl Cox anyone? How about Marco V, he's coming next week. Groove Armada? John Digweed? Ferry Corsten? How about Prodigy? I'm sure you've heard of Prodigy (x penah dgr ko mmg x cool la time skolah dulu). Many were not aware that Prodigy came here few years back. These are the biggest name in the dance scene. To make it easier for you, it is like if you like Britrock, it's like having Muse, Coldplay,Keane, Travis, Snow Patrol all perform here in the same year. Last year, we had PVD one month and Tiesto the next. That's like going to a Beatles concert and knowing The Rollings Stones are coming your way next month (if you live in the sixties anyway).
Ah my fingers are tired from all this typing. At this point I have forgotten what actually I intended to write about when i started this post...Okay last words. If you want your favourite artistes to come here, buy their original albums, seriously, show we support them and they will come.
Here are some of the artistes Ithat I hope would someday come and perform here. My wishlist:
- Muse...again
- Coldplay
- James Blunt
- Oasis
- Jet
- Rolling Stones
- U2
- Madonna
- Christina Aguilera
- Elton John
- and of course the one and only Sir Paul McCartney
Peace out :)
2 comments:
my wish list:
1.simple plan
2.same same
3.aaron carter
4.josh groban
5.x5
xpa acap..aku faham jiwa ko...aaron carter datang aku teman ko pegi..aku berjanji
Post a Comment